Northwest Community Church is a friendly community church in the heart of Edgemont. We like to say “be Christ in our community and bring our community to Christ”. Some of our favorite things to do are community clean-ups, China orphanage trips, and camp-outs in the mountains. Our youth have crazy fun events every week and big trips every year. And our young adults hang out every Sunday night and tear controversial topics apart. And both love to form worship bands for Sunday mornings! But above all we are a church that prays, with prayer ministry for everyone on Sunday mornings and a big prayer summit every second month.
We were planted in 1996 by Pastor Lindsay Anderson and the Baptist General Conference of Alberta. After a brief stint as “Northwest Christian Fellowship” meeting on Saturday nights in Tom Baines School, we changed names and moved to Sunday mornings at Mother Mary Greene School. Determined to make a tour of all the schools in Edgemont, we moved to the Edgemont Community Centre in 2011 which is attached to the Edgemont School. Depending how you count, we have up to four pastors currently… Pastor Jeff Edwards who took over from Lindsay in 2004, Associate Pastor Kara Wilfley since 2007, Pastor Chris Xu of Calgary True Light Gospel Church, our Chinese joint ministry partner which we helped plant, and his associate Pastor Abo Zou. We love to do stuff together in English and Chinese. 祝福你!?
Be Christ in our Community and Bring our Community to Christ
People matter to us and to God!
Celebrative Worship – Ps.150:6, 98:1; John 4:23
Open and authentic relationships – Eph.4:29; Pr.27:17; Rom.12:15
Members are the ministers – Eph.4:11,12; Rom.12:4-8
People matter to us and to God – Our motto – Mat.9:35-36
Always in Prayer – John 15:7-8
Service done with excellence – Col.3:17; Mal.1:6-14
Scripture-based – 2 Timothy 3:14-17 Affirmation of Faith
Affirmation of Faith
- The Word of God: We believe that the Bible is the Word of God, fully and verbally inspired by the Holy Spirit. We believe that the Bible in its original manuscripts is free from all falsehood or mistake and so is entirely true and trustworthy in all its assertions on all matters of natural and theological fact and that it has supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The Trinity: We believe that there is one living and true God, eternally existing in three persons, that these are equal in every divine perfection, and that they execute distinct, but harmonious offices in the work of creation, providence and redemption.
- God The Father: We believe in God, the Father, an infinite, personal spirit, perfect in holiness, wisdom, power and love. We believe that He concerns Himself mercifully in the affairs of men, that He hears and answers prayer, and that He saves from sin and death all who come to Him through Jesus Christ.
- Jesus Christ: We believe in Jesus Christ, God’s only Son, conceived by the Holy Spirit. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles and teachings. We believe in His substitutionary atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, perpetual intercession for His people and personal visible return to earth.
- The Holy Spirit: We believe in the Holy Spirit, who came forth from the Father and Son to convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgement, and to regenerate, sanctify and empower all who believe in Jesus Christ. We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells every believer in Christ and that He is an abiding helper, teacher and guide.
- Angels: We believe that angels are a distinct order of created spiritual beings; that they can appear in human form; that good angels minister to human beings and serve God as special messengers; that Satan, a fallen angel, and his evil angels whom he leads, exercise great but limited evil power in the world, and will suffer final defeat at the hands of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Regeneration: We believe that all men are sinners by nature and by choice and are, therefore, under condemnation. We believe that those who repent of their sins and trust in Jesus Christ as Saviour are regenerated by the Holy Spirit.
- The Church: We believe in the universal church, a living spiritual body of which Christ is the Head and all regenerated persons are members. We believe in the local church, consisting of a company of believers in Jesus Christ, baptized on a credible profession of faith, and associated for worship, work and fellowship. We believe that God has laid upon the members of the local church the primary task of giving the gospel of Jesus Christ to a lost world.
- Christian Conduct: We believe that a Christian should live for the glory of God and the well-being of his fellow men; that his conduct should be blameless before the world; that he should be a faithful steward of his possessions; and that he should seek to realize for himself and others the full stature of maturity in Christ.
- The Ordinances: We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ has committed two ordinances to the local church: baptism and the Lord’s Supper. We believe that Christian baptism is the immersion of a believer in water into the name of the triune God. We believe that the Lord’s Supper was instituted by Christ for commemoration of His death. We believe that these two ordinances should be observed and administered until the return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Religious Liberty: We believe that every human being has direct relations with God, and is responsible to God alone in all matters of faith; that each church is independent and must be free from interference by any ecclesiastical or political authority; that therefore Church and State must be kept separate as having different functions, each fulfilling its duties free from dictation or patronage of the other.
- Church Cooperation: We believe that local churches can best promote the cause of Jesus Christ by cooperating with one another in a denominational organization. Such an organization, whether a regional or district conference, exists and functions by the will of the churches. Cooperation in a conference is voluntary and may be terminated at any time. Churches may likewise cooperate with interdenominational fellowships on a voluntary, independent basis.
- The Last Things: We believe in the personal and visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ to earth and the establishment of His kingdom. We believe in the resurrection of the body, the final judgement, the eternal felicity of the righteous, and the endless suffering of the wicked.